July 26, 2010

Another Helping of Shakespeare

Our class field trip last Thursday was to Warwick in the morning and Stratford-Upon-Avon in the afternoon and evening. We had a couple of hours in Warwick, which was mainly spent at Warwick Castle. This was a beautiful castle that showed an interesting glimpse into the past, but overall I felt they had turned it into a tourist trap. I did, however, enjoy the peacock garden, in spite of my fear of birds! It was interesting to watch the peacocks just wander around the gardens, and I was able to get some pretty pictures of them with their beautiful feathers on display!

Stratford is an adorable little town, and hometown of William Shakespeare. We were able to see his birthplace and the home that he died in. Also in the town are Anne Hathaway's cottage and Shakespeare's grave, but sadly we didn't make it in time to see those. It was so fun to wander around the town and see all the restaurants and pubs that were named after quotes from Shakespeare's plays! It was a truly brilliant example of the impact one person can have, and the legacy they leave behind. That night we saw As You Like It performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company. This is probably my favorite play (at least top 3), so I was very excited to see it. My professor told us that the Royal Shakespeare Company is one of the best companies performing Shakespeare, and I have to agree with him! The performance was amazing! I will always cherish getting to see a Shakespeare performance at the Globe, but I think may be my favorite performance yet! It helps that I already loved the play so much :)

No comments:

Post a Comment