July 7, 2010

Feels Like Home

I've been in Cambridge for almost a week now, and I'm surprised at how natural it seems to be here. This seems strange, because this town seems like a complete opposite to Fountain Hills and Tempe! History seems to be dripping from everything around me. No matter where you go, you just can't avoid it. Just walking down the street is amazing, you're completely surrounded by a mix of these old universities or cathedrals, lively pubs, or a variety of shops. The energy here is incredible, and I feel like I'm a part of it.

I started classes on Monday, and I've easily shifted into a comfortable routine. We go to classes Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (mine are 9:00-10:20 and then 2:00-3:20), Thursday we have a class fieldtrip that lasts most of the day, and then we have Friday-Sunday off. My first class is Shakespeare in Performance. My professor is Dr. Hartle, a man who actually attended Cambridge University when he was in school! He has a great sense of humor and, though it sounds ridiculous, I feel as though he is slightly more qualified to teach about Shakespeare since he grew up in England. I also think that all professors should have an accent, as this seems to make it a bit easier to pay attention to an 80 minute lecture! We just finished reading Henry IV, Part I. It wasn't my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, but still a beautiful work of art and an interesting way to look at England's history. My second class is Man Eating Monsters and Marvel Filled Maps. I admit that once I read the title I decided to take the class before even reading the description! I am very pleased to say that so far it is just as entertaining as I hoped it would be! I'm surprised by just how much I didn't know about maps and the history they provide. What's worse, before this class I didn't even care because I didn't realize what I was missing. The professor is passionate and accomplished and I am certain that I will learn a lot from him.

After class my time is usually spent doing homework and hanging out in town. Last night we watched the World Cup in one of the pubs. It was awesome to see so many people wearing orange, and a group from the Netherlands actually stood up and started singing the National Anthem at the beginning of the game! Tonight a group of us will be going to see Macbeth at the Leper Church. Sounds exciting, right?!

Time moves along quickly, but I'm not surprised. There's so much to do and see that I constantly find myself wishing there were more hours in the day! I am perfectly content to keep living as I am, packing in as much excitement as I can into each and every day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment